Having an inviting outdoor seating and entertainment area can help turn your Las Vegas house into a home that you’re proud to show off to friends and neighbors alike. If you’re having difficulty deciding between installing a poured concrete patio vs. a custom patio created with pavers, you aren’t alone.
At Green America Tree & Landscaping, we’d like to invite you to weigh the pros and cons of concrete slab vs. paver patios so that you can choose the best option to fit your aesthetic and your budget.
Spoiler Alert: We Prefer Pavers
It’s only fair to let you know up front that we recommend pavers over concrete for most patio installations. There are several reasons for this, and we’ll address them all below. However, we understand that you may still prefer the simplicity of concrete, so let’s look at that option first.
Reasons To Choose A Poured Concrete Patio
Plain concrete is not very attractive in itself, which is probably why the term “concrete jungle” brings to mind images of a drab, unpleasant urban area. However, cement slabs can be stained or stamped.
You can add color and texture, creating an appealing surface that can be customized to either seamlessly blend in with the rest of your outdoor decor or deliberately stand out to make an attractive focal point.
Concrete Patio Pros
- Concrete is easy to install.
- Concrete is relatively inexpensive.
- Concrete slabs are durable and long-lasting.
Concrete Patio Cons
- Concrete requires a setting and curing period, which can take up to 28 days.
- If you choose to stain your slab, the color you choose is permanent.
- Concrete may crack over time, requiring expensive repairs.
- Poured slabs are less flexible when it comes to your design options.
Using Pavers Instead Of Concrete In Your Patio Design
Because they come in a dazzling array of sizes, shapes, and designs, pavers are a much more flexible choice that allows a great deal of creativity in your patio design. You can find pavers made from a variety of natural stones, such as travertine, marble, and flagstone.
You can also choose cobblestone, bluestone, bricks, aggregate composites, and other attractive, versatile materials.
The Advantages Of Patio Pavers
- You can create unique and beautiful layouts with pavers.
- Pavers can last even longer than concrete slabs.
- Pavers are low maintenance.
- Pavers are easier to repair and replace than concrete slabs.
- Pavers are more slip-resistant than concrete slabs.
- Pavers don’t require curing time.
The Disadvantages Of Patio Pavers
- Pavers require a lot of initial prep work.
- Weeds can eventually grow between the paver joints.
- Pavers can cost more than concrete for the initial installation (although concrete can cost more to repair or replace over time).
Las Vegas Patio Design & Installation
Whether you decide upon concrete or landscaping pavers, Green America Tree & Landscaping can build the Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, or Henderson area patio you desire. You can tell us precisely what you want or let one of our landscaping designers come up with a plan that best suits your existing outdoor space.
Contact us today to set up a consultation and obtain a quote for your dream patio design and installation project.